For the unorganised and semi-organised workforce, which accounts for about 80 percent of India’s workforce, the lockdown has resulted into reverse migration, food shortages and loss of a sustainable livelihoods. Migrant workers across the country are stranded in cities without any income, and with the bus and train networks shut for weeks. In the Phase-3.0 of the lockdown migrant workers are been brought back by the state governments. The states of the north and east are grappling with huge numbers of returning migrants to home-districts. Handling the influx of returning migrants, providing them with a Safety-Net, and then opportunities of livelihoods, is both a critical challenge but also presents to states like Uttar Pradesh a unique opportunity.
Our client is part of a consortium that is looking for a highly qualified and skilled professional to to intensify MGNREGA work in the state through NRLM‐MGNREGA convergent action. S/he will report to the Country Director, and support in strengthening the key working relationships with PS‐RD and his other Government counterparts, donor representatives, and other partners. S/he will coordinate with other Govt. departments such as PRI, Department of Vocational Education & Skill Development, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) etc. in identifying problems and offer strategic solutions and actions on the ground. S/he will work in tandem with the other members of the Support Cell to devise effective strategies to achieve the goals and objectives of the program. The overall role encompasses:
1. Develop UP centric models for Productive Asset creation ‐ horticulture model schemes, water harvesting models, fishery development models, etc.
2. Develop a framework for NRLM‐MGNREGA convergent action ‐ with SHG‐Federations being involved in planning and implementation (based on best‐practices from other states)
3. Study existing tracking mechanisms for MGNREGA planning and implementations, and work on strengthening the rapid implementation of the programs, especially in those areas which have high concentration of returning low
or unskilled workforce.
4. Work in close coordination with relevant departments/officials, e.g. with Additional Commissioner, MGNREGA, in identifying implementation challenges and draft official clarification/ guidelines for intensification of works, including COVID‐19 related guidelines from the GoI.
5. Provide regular feedback to MGNREGA and other administrative officials to unlock problems identified from the ground for beneficiaries, such as timely payments at the last mile, and offer strategic solutions and actions on the
6. Create a strategy for linking MGNREGA works with rapid infrastructure development by converging with schemes like Rurban, Dhanya Lakshmi, etc.
7. Supervise the work of Civil Society Organization (CSOs) being associated in MGNREGS for Cluster Facilitation Project of GoI and CSOs being empaneled for demand generation in MGNREGS, ensuring that Covid‐19 guidelines are being
followed at MGNREGS worksites etc. and working as Project Implementation Units under MGNREGS in State.
8. Support linkages among various efforts undertaken by UPSRLM through SHGs, department of Medical Health through front line workers, efforts through Panchayat Raj Department and other ongoing communication efforts
- Master’s degree/ Diploma in from a reputed university/ institute with at least 12 years of experience in development sector
- Extensive understanding of various schemes and initiatives related to rural economic development specifically with MGNREGS via Govt. engagement or in CFT project
- Strong strategic planning, coordination, and implementation skills
- Excellent facilitation, analytical, presentation and organisational skills
- Experience of working with the Executive Leadership of the Government at the national/ state level (preferably in Hindi speaking states)
- Ability to develop and nurture relationships with other development partners, community, donors, national/local government.
- Inclined to be hands‐on as well as strategic, with a strong focus on both tasks and relationships in a time‐bound project