BBC Media Action is the independent international charity of the BBC which uses media to advance development worldwide. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and others to produce creative programmes and content in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences, and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
In India, BBC Media Action has been using media and communications to improve health, resilience and rights since 1999. We are currently implementing major projects across India to improve urban sanitation outcomes and understand the digital drivers of women’s economic outcomes.
BBC Media Action is now embarking on a new project funded by the H&M Foundation, called PRIDE – a Pathway to Respect, Identity, Dignity and Empowerment, where we will seek to shift the way general populations in Bengaluru think about where their waste goes, and the role waste pickers play in the circular economy, ensuring that others do not drown in their own waste. The project will also work to create a sense of pride for waste pickers, in recognising and celebrating the part they play as critical contributors to both society and the economy. The PRIDE project sits within a larger Collective Impact Initiative, where other partners will seek to address complementary outcomes to collectively improve the lives of waste pickers.
Scope of work:
The Senior Research Consultant will work with research team in London and project teams in Delhi and Bengaluru to deliver on the research commitments for the PRIDE project. They will lead any research undertaken under the program, including managing any other research resources and agencies that may be brought in to fulfil research requirements.
The Senior Research Consultant will also lead in the implementation of the BBC Media Action quality assurance processes, as well as adherence to BBC Media Action’s Editorial Guidelines, GDPR and Safeguarding requirements for research.
• Provide strategic and critical inputs into all research activities for the PRIDE project, including the design and execution of research studies
• Work closely with the Research Manager in India, and the research team in the UK on the management and execution of research activities for the project
• Liaise with project and creative teams on all research activities, including eliciting input for research design, and communicating research findings
• Represent the BBC Media Action research team in donor and partner meetings and with other external stakeholders in dissemination of the research findings
• Represent the BBC Media Action research team on any research study conducted by external stakeholders on the specified communication concept
• Provide inputs into program and partnership strategy for the PRIDE project
• Demonstrable experience of conducting social and/ or market research in India or the region, with increasing levels of responsibility. Significant social research experience (especially evaluation research) would be an added benefit.
• Excellent knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research approaches and techniques, and knowledge of their application for media, creative, and/or communication for development projects. Experience in digital/ social media research is an added benefit.
• Demonstrable expertise in research project management and implementation, working on large-scale research projects with research teams and nationally based field agencies in India.
• Ability to analyse, interpret and synthesis primary and secondary data to produce clear insights and actionable recommendations from research.
• Demonstrable experience of successfully communicating research findings to a range of non-technical audiences including project teams, international donors, external audiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Excellent written and oral English skills.
• Strong experience and ability to implement quality assurance processes within research projects, including ethics.
• Demonstrable experience of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and ability to influence others.