BBC Media Action (www.bbcmediaaction.org) is the independent international charity of the BBC which uses media to advance development worldwide. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and others to produce creative programmes and content in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences, and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
In India, BBC Media Action has been using media and communications to improve health, resilience and rights since 1999. Our work includes ground-breaking mass media campaigns, television and radio content on HIV/AIDS awareness, condom normalisation, sexually transmitted infections (STI), blood safety, tuberculosis, maternal and child health, gender equality, bonded labour, water conservation, humanitarian resilience, sanitation and others. We are currently implementing major projects across India to improve maternal and child health, improve gender norms among adolescents and address sanitation behaviours.
BBC Media Action has embarked on a research and learning project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to deepen, nuance and pressure test assumptions underpinning the Foundation’s Digital Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) strategy in order to identify and define execution pathways. The Gates Foundation has identified Women’s Empowerment Collectives (WEC) as a key pillar of its WEE strategy. WECs in India, face a number of constraints and digital technology could support WECs in overcoming many of these challenges.
One component of this project is a large mixed method social network analysis study (real world physical social networks and emerging digital networks), most likely in Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, which will be designed to explore the correlation (positive and negative) between women's empowerment and increasing levels of digital access and literacy.
• 10 years of experience of qualitative research
• Experience with different qualitative research methodologies
• Experience operating in a development context
• Fluency in English and Hindi or Tamil
• Experience with qualitative testing related to digital technologies
• Experience of conducting research on gender related issues.
• Experience of conducting qualitative research with women in rural and urban populations in India.
• Experience of conducting research on mobile phone access, usage and digital interventions.
• Experience of understanding group dynamics and social network analysis.