Our client is Centre for Social and Behaviour Change (CSBC) at Ashoka University which was set up through a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. They are looking to engage with a consultant with a track record in qualitative research and a strong commitment to translating research findings into practice.
They are seeking an individual with a track record in qualitative research and a strong commitment to translating research findings into practice. CSBC works along the entire demand generation cycle from employing qualitative research to gather behavioural insights, designing pioneering solutions to address complex development problems, testing innovative prototypes and,finally working with stakeholders to scale up these rigorously tested innovations to increase uptake of (often government mandated) products and services. Hence the person selected for this position needs to understand the application of qualitative research for solving complex behavioral challenges.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Develop an understanding of the substantive areas such as family planning, maternal health, nutrition etc. from the research and policy perspectives to support project teams in identifying knowledge gaps and the need for research
2. Collaborate with the Qualitative Research Head to design and conduct qualitative and design research in per-urban and rural contexts
3. Synthesize data and categorize patterns
4. Collaborate with the Qualitative Research Head to interpret data in innovative andactionable ways to drive the (product/service/message) design process and provide inputs to develop scalable/feasible prototypes for experimental testing
5. Contextualize project work through reviews of relevant literature
6. Collaborate with relevant teams and personnel to design interview instruments and guides
7. Plan, manage and conduct projects ethically and professionally, in keeping with the goals and ethos of the Centre
8. Supervise data collection team
9. Collaborate with manager(s) to produce comprehensive project plans, including objectives, outcomes and measures, budget, deliverables and milestones.
10. Support the Centre’s stakeholders – internal and external through providing intelligence from research and evaluation
NOTE: This project will be based out of the Delhi/NCR region and will require a full time, on-site support from the consultant.
• A Master’s degree in social sciences, public policy, sociology, or related
• Significant experience in a research role, with experience of a range of
research methods and applied research approaches that translated
research into practice (e.g. product or service prototypes)
• Experience of conducting research in peri-urban/rural India
• Excellent management and organisational skills
• Flexible, self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team
• Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
• Fluency in Hindi and English
• Content/sentiment analysis software skills
• An understanding of experimental/quantitative research would be an
• An understanding of human-centered design research will be an advantage
• Great writing and presentation skills
• Comfortable with positivist, pragmatic empirics with a serious interest in
changing the world