Our client, a multinational confectionery, food, holding and beverage and snack food company is looking to engage with a Senior Legal Counsel who will report to the Chief Counsel and will be responsible for delivery of legal support across any or all functions of the India Business Unit (BU).
The Senior Counsel will be charged with providing high quality and responsive legal support and guidance to the India BU as part of the Legal team, as well as in developing strategy for the department; establishing collaborative relationships with colleagues both within and outside the local business; and managing external legal resources within budgets as guided by the Chief Counsel. 4 junior members of the Legal Team will report into this role.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Provide legal support and risk evaluation by identification and interpretation of applicable laws and regulations; policy interpretation, development and conduct of training sessions; contract risk management; support or participate in Special Situation Management Teams; management of outside counsel; transactional, restructuring or other Project related work as needed, in a lead or support capacity.
- Active leadership and participation as a member of the India ELC, as well as contribute to the Global Legal function by providing legal advice in collaboration with Global and Local counsel and the Global Centres of Expertise (COE) and in regional and global policy development and implementation, reporting, and conducting training and new compliance programs respectively.
- Provide legal support and risk evaluation to Categories, Functions and Manufacturing Facilities of the India Business Unit, as well as major projects.
- Establish a culture of compliance throughout the Business Unit through all forms of advice, communication, role modelling and training (including overseeing corporate governance, policy interpretation, implementing effective compliance training programs).
- Participate in and contribute to the Global Legal department’s knowledge management and productivity building initiatives as agreed with the Chief Counsel on an annual basis.
Please note that this is a 6 months duration project and the consultant will be expected to provide legal support to client's Andhra Pradesh's plant. For the same reason they should be open to travel.
- An LLB from an accredited law school.
- Company Secretarial qualification will be an added advantage.
- At least 15 years of professional experience.
- Experience in M&A, JV or other corporate restructuring.
- Knowledge of domestic and international FMCG/Foods industry, competitors, and regulatory environment.
- Experience in manufacturing companies having managed Environmental and Employment laws.
- Working knowledge Digital media, Social media and eCommerce.
- Working knowledge of brand protection, environmental laws, legislative updates, alternative/renewable energy, Brownfield and Greenfield projects.
- Prior experience as an inhouse lawyer in digital media in an ecommerce company is an added advantage.
- Ability to manage numerous matters and competing priorities and to work within a matrix set up.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of management, across functions, Region and Global Teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively convey legal advice and documentation in a commercially sound and relevant manner.
- Superior commercial ability and Business acumen.