Our client , an international nonprofit global health organization is looking to onboard a Consultant Technical Specialist Rice Fortification.
The project is in search of a Technical Specialist to support the program in India primarily, but also in Myanmar and other South and Southeast Asian and African countries.
- The Technical Specialist will ensure that the technical requirements of building the supply chain for fortified rice are met, including transferring the Ultra Rice technology to production partners, supporting further R&D on the Ultra Rice formulation and blending systems to lower cost
- Manage the technical aspects of blending Ultra Rice into traditional rice supplies at both rice miller sites and points of rice aggregation (e.g., warehouses), and supporting efforts to ensure regulatory approval of fortified rice in various markets.
Specific responsibilities of the consultant will include:
• Build the capacity of and support technical centers of excellence for rice fortification in India and other geographies.
• Install and commission blending system and FRK Extrusion System.
• Enable rice millers in various geographies to produce fortified rice brands by developing appropriate blending and quality processes and protocols.
• Expand Fortified rice blending to various geographies.
• Validate blending, production and quality processes and protocols and help develop customized SOPs and training materials.
• Assess and identify appropriate blending and validation equipment for small and medium sized rice mills and warehouses.
• Manage the development, manufacturing, installation, and validation of blending equipment within specific pilot sites.
• Support stability, safety, micronutrient content and sensorial testing of FRK at various project sites.
• Drive forward efforts to further optimize the formulation, equipment or manufacturing process parameters with R&D partners.
• Drive forward and support the development of innovative nutrition solutions.
• Support grant proposal development from a technical perspective.
-A Master’s degree in food engineering/ Agriculture/ Food Technology plus five or more years of relevant experience is preferred,
- A bachelor’s degree in food engineering with a minimum of seven years of relevant experience and master’s in management will be preferred.
Skills required -
• Demonstrated experience in working within manufacturing environments in India and developing comprehensive SOPs, and experience in rice fortification will be an asset.
• Demonstrated experience in implementing Food Safety and Quality Control Systems (HACCP & GMPs)
• Demonstrated experience in developing and testing validation protocols within manufacturing or other processing environments
• Experience in the rice industry and familiarity with rice milling environments highly desirable
• Experience in food extrusion/ agro food processing/ snacks manufacturing/ bakery manufacturing highly desirable
• Knowledge of different aspects of food and nutrition in processed foods and their application in the food industry highly desirable
• Ability to understand market and consumer perspective on staple food products and eating habits desirable
• Ability to travel up to 25% of the time annually (mostly domestic travel within India, but on occasion to Myanmar and other South and Southeast Asian and African countries)